Joliet Correctional Center was a prison in Joliet, Illinois, America from 1858 to 2002. It is featured in the motion picture The Blues Brothers as the prison from which Jake Blues is released at the beginning of the movie. In 2018, it opened for tours.
This historic truss lift bridge was built to cross the Des Planes River at Joliet, Will County, Illinois, 1853 by the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad, who began 1852 construction of a line heading southwest from Chicago.
Sabina on the Cass St. Bridge. It carries westbound US Route 30. It is one of four Scherzer Rolling Lift bascule bridges in Joliet, all of which span the Des Plaines River.
Mosaic of Joliet and the Des Planes River at the corner N Bluff St and Lincoln Hwy.
The Joliet Slammers are a professional baseball team that play in the independent Frontier League. They play their home games at DuPage Medical Group Field.
Rich + Creamy is typical of ice cream stores that dotted Route 66 in its heyday, when Broadway was a leg of the highway in Joliet.
City leaders restored Rich + Creamy back to the retro appearance. Unfortunately, Jake and Elwood, The Blues Brothers, did not dance atop while we where visiting.
t’s a sticky situation, when your vehicle breaks down - Dicks’s Towing Service on 911 N Broadway St can help!
A 20th century Kankakee streetcar was moved to Gardner in 1932 to serve as a diner along Route 66.
How would you like your hotdog, Sir?
Illinois has very fertile soils that are mainly used for soybean and corn cultivation (Corn Belt), a field near Dwight.
In addition, other products such as grown wheat, sorghum or fruit are grown.
A stretch of historic US Highway 66 between Gardner and Dwight, stuck between I-55 and the railroad.
Light and shadow over a farm near Odell.
Rain over a harvested field out of Pontiac
Filed along the Interstate 55 near Chenoa.
red barn, often seen
Sunlit fields as far as the eye can see near Elkhart.
Carlyle Cemetery Mt Pulaski - what a pretty place of freedom and silence
The town of Lincoln, Logan County, Illinois, was the first city named after Abraham Lincoln, while he was a lawyer and before he was President of the United States.
137 glass panes are inserted in the dome of the Logan County Courthouse in Lincoln. The stained glass came from Kokomo Opalescent Glass in Kokomo, Indiana, which are still in operation today.
The Courthouse of Lincoln is crowned by a dome that is one of the largest in the county (52 feet in diameter and 60 feet high).
Perched atop the fire house in Lincoln, Illinois is a lone phone booth that seems to have simply fallen out of the sky and landed on the building, but in fact the glass phone enclosure was installed to help warn against massive storms.
Local business on North Kickapoo Street in Lincoln
Next to the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District.
The city of Lincoln, between Bloomington and Springfield, was located directly on U.S. Route 66 from 1926 through 1978.
The late Bill Shea Sr. bought this vintage 1925 Phillips service station in 2000 from John Mahan of Middletown to add to his Shea Gas Station museum collection in Springfield.
The Bel Aire Manor Motel in Springfield with the sputnik inspired sign opened in about 1950.
The Doc's Soda Fountain on South Second Street in Girard offers lunch, pies, ice cream and old fashioned sodas. Original it was established as Deck's Drug Store in 1884.
After three generations running the drug store, Bob and Bill Deck retired in 2001.
In 2007, Doc's Soda Fountain was reopened by new owners with Bob and Bill adding their Pharmacy Museum to the store, displaying items back to the late 1800s.
As a roadside oasis, Art's Motel and Restaurant opened by Art McAnarney in 1937 as a full-service restaurant and gas station.
In 1926 Henry Soulsby opened his gas station in Mt. Olive and intended to capitalize on the opening of the highway U.S. Route 66.
However, the road took a different route than he anticipated. But four years later, Route 66 was relocated and zipped right in front of his station.